Free School Meals

All infant school children (those in Reception, Y1 & Y2), have been entitled to free school meals since September 2014. For children in junior school (Y3-6), free school meals are not provided automatically.

If you are receiving qualifying benefits (listed below) the government will give your school a Pupil Premium of £1,345 and provide them with a free school meal.

For the school and your child to benefit from this money please complete the claim form which is available on the Wiltshire Countil website - Wilshire Council Free School Meals Form


  • Free school meals are available to eligible children that attend school within Wiltshire, on a fulltime basis. This includes nursery children (of compulsory school age) who attend school fulltime and sixth form students (but not college or Further Education level students).
  • Wiltshire Council are now able to check entitlement to free school meals via a secure government website, which links to your benefit providers. However, if the eligibility checking service (ECS) has not been able to verify your entitlement, they will then need to contact you to ask for evidence to show you are currently in receipt of one of the eligible benefits.
  • Claims can not be backdated. The date of entitlement is the date that they confirm your eligibility, using the ECS or paperwork supplied, and successfully process your application
  • You must be in receipt of one of the benefits shown below to be eligible for free school meals for your child or children -

Income support

Income based Job Seekers Allowance (not contribution based JSA)

Income related Employment and Support Allowance (not contribution based ESA)

Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 - National Asylum Seekers Support (NASS)

The guarantee element of the State Pension Credit

Child Tax Credit
(you must not be entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue and Customs) that does not exceed £16,190 (April 2012))

Working Tax Credit 'run - on' - the payment you receive for a further four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
If you currently receive Working Tax Credit (other than the 'run-on') you are not eligible to claim.

Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than 7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods)

Student Login